We spent a day with Bárbara Martelo, from Madrid who has an enviable career in the fashion world. Bárbara has shown us how to combine our winter collection with elegance and personality
1. Tell us about your career
I started my professional life in the legal departmentat Inditex after studying law at Icade, where I realised what I really wanted to do was work in fashion. I started working as a stylist for TELVA and after a few years joined VOGUE Spain where I worked until I decided to go freelance for personal reasons.
Since then I have continued to collaborate with various publications of the
Condé Nast group, as well as with El País and Harpers Bazaar.
2. How did you end up in the fashion world?
Owing to a series of coincidences. Although I had already decided to work in the fashion world, a call from TELVA magazine meant I didn’t need to attend fashion courses at PARSONS as I had planned,
3. Define your style, it’s hard to define …
I tend to combine important items with more casual pieces, combining reality and catwalk.
4. Your essentials for autumn
Black crusader boots, a knit dress, a leather blazer and grey skinny jeans.
5. What item couldn’t you live without?
I can’t live without a leather biker jacket.
6. Your perfect travel suitcase includes…
It depends on the destination but there are always t-shirts, jeans,
a black mini-dress, high heel sandals and my running shoes.
7. Your favourite cities for going shopping
Paris and NY
8. You’re from Madrid, what would you recommend in the capital?
A stroll round the El Retiro park, dinner with friends at El Lando, the Reina
Sofía, Thyssen and El Prado museums… wandering round the galleries.
9. A style recommendation for our customers
Don’t be a fashion victim, be yourself.